Sunday, November 23, 2008

I guess I was WRONG and now I feel awful

Okay, as you read from my post on Friday, my son, I THOUGHT was playing hooky. He really did have an amazing recovery after it was too late to take him to school. He looked and appeared well. Friday night, he complained a tiny bit that his stomach hurt but never said another thing. All day Saturday he was fine, UNTIL, like 2 in the afternoon. We were visiting his grandparents. He came downstairs where he had been playing games on their computer.

He said he was tired and crawled in my lap. He felt very hot, so I took his temperature, 100.8. This from a child who NEVER runs fever even with horrid ear infections, he never ran a fever. Then he takes of running to the bathroom and makes it to the poop thing. We come home, and he takes of to the bathroom and pukes. Take his temp as he is hotter, 101.8. He has puked some today and has really bad poopy issues but his fever is down. So I guess, he was getting sick on Friday.

Now, as a Mom, I feel horrid. I guess I really missed it on this one. His body reacts to illness by triggering his asthma. Now his breathing is restricted and his cough is tight. Sigh......and me, I am left feeling like a bad mom. I know we all make mistakes, but I did NOT believe my child. I disciplined him by making him stay in bed all day.

Sometimes you so wish your child came with a "check engine light". At least one that let you know what was wrong and if they were really sick or not. I am sure this will not be the last time, I misinterpret my child but I still feel awful for it.

So now, I pray, the other two do not get it and his asthma does not get worse.


Shawna said...

Don't feel too bad... maybe staying in bed kept him strong enough to handle this bug, where playing and running about might have exhausted his resources.

BTW, you look GREAT in your photo!!!! And I love the look of your blog as well.

Thelma said...

Thanks Shawna........and probably it did help him have some reserves. I am keeping him home 1 more day as the only thing he was able to eat yesterday besides jello and gatorade, late in the evening was a slice of toast. I do not think he is ready to go back today. I will send him on Tuesday, thankfully it is a short week.

And thanks, I am working on my blog. It has become a beloved hobby.

Rebekah said...

I don't think you should beat yourself up too much. Those stomach things are often a difficult call until more concrete symptoms show up - like fever or throw up, etc. I've done the same thing - it's so hard to know what to do with, "My stomach hurts." It can mean just a little thing that will pass or something worse. And, I agree, staying in bed was the right thing to do - if he had been faking, he needed to know that faking won't get him a fun day off, and since he really was getting sick, he needed the rest anyway.

I hope he's feeling better, and I hope you all are doing okay! Hang in there.

Thelma said...

Thanks......I think he is on the mend. And the other two seem okay for now. I was having a very stressful day for many reasons, LOL. And I also DO know he has learned a lesson, he did not like staying in bed all day. I dont think he will ever fake sickness now.

And that is why what us Mom's do is so important, it is hard work and often we second guess ourselves when we shouldn't.