Saturday, October 6, 2007

Saturday Musings



Saturdays when I was growing up, despite my dysfunctional family were usually among my happiest memories. Saturdays, were the day we could sleep in and stay in our jammies all morning. If my dad was away it was even better(I know it sound bad, but it was true). Some Saturdays we went to my grandmother and spent the night. She would let us make cookies and make a mess and we played until after dark. Many were the "ghosts in the graveyard games". As bad as it sounds, I really don't remember my dad being there on Saturdays. I don't know if he was working or just away. But oh how happy those days were. Carefree and fun filled and my Mama was not so filled with stress that she snapped at every little thing. I so want my children to have happy, lazy Saturdays that have wonderful memories. But I also want their everydays to be filled with happy, loving memories. Childhood is supposed to be filled with innocence, rainbows, butterflies and imagination. I want my children to not only be filled with faith and love. I want them to enjoy the magic of childhood. Only in childhood can raindrops be lemon drops and gumdrops. Only in childhood can pajama days inside the house be filled with adventure. Today I am taking a pledge: I Thelma will play more with my children. I will stop worrying about having things perfect and in order. I will make the best of my time so they are free to have time to play or go to the park or have a camp out day in their jammies in the living room. Their childhood is slipping by ever so fast and lately; I have not played with them. I have not made childhood's magic come alive for them. Today we stayed in our jammies all day and we read stories and watched cartoons. And when I made dinner I suprised them with these potatoes that look like smiley faces. They LOVED it. Seeing them smile, was worth it all. I want to inveest in their future by investing time, love and patience now. When I think about my Heavenly Father I think about how He is never to busy to hear my heart's cry. Yet, there are so many times, my children come to me with a request for a story, a hug or a game and I say "Later baby, mommy is busy". And while they need to know there are times they must wait, there are times they should no mommy will stop what she is doing and spend time with them, just because they are my precious children. I am trying to grow in the Lord, in my marriage and in motherhood. But that takes putting something in, instead of waiting for it to happen. Too often I sit and wait, I guess for God to zap me. But He is NOT going to zap me with energy or patience or anything. He expects me to, like the Nike commercial, Just Do It. God called me to motherhood. A pastor's wife and mother is all I have EVER wanted to be. So instead of griping, grumbling and complaining like I am more likely to do lately, I need to thank God He gave me the desires of my heart and act like I am thankful. I need to put "footsies on my prayers" so to speak and act like I have the energry I so desperately pray for. I need to do the work it takes to become the Proverbs 31 Mommy. God has called me to a very special calling. The job as wife and mother has lasting impact. If my husband and children feel loved and well cared for, it makes my job easier. I think too I will notice more things to blog about my children, myself, what I am learning as a woman, wife, child of God, mother. As I grow in God, He will equip me for each step He has called me to. To become more like the Proverbs 31 Mom does not mean denying who Thelma is on the inside. It means enhancing her. It means I will become a better friend, listener, wife, mother and woman. It will make me stronger, more assertive for the needs of my life and family. It means not being afraid to be real about my beliefs, ideas, hopes and dreams. It means not being afraid to share the real me for fear of losing friends. It means stopping being a people pleaser and becoming a God pleaser. I oftern worry if people really like me. But if I am being friendly, loving, compassionate and real then I am doing my part. I am me, just me and I can not be anyone else. I recently had someone tell me I was naive and not aware of the world. However, I don't think that is true. I just tend to view the world with optimism, hope and peace. I want my children to see a mom who doesn't worry. I want people to like me but for who I am. I want people to see me as loving and kind. I do want people to see me as intelligent as well, but I want to be seen as a well rounded person who can have compassion for people regardless of their beliefs, race, religion, ideas, hopes, dreams etc. Jesus loves all people. They didn't have to be someone to be loved by Him. They didn't have to hold a certain belief or idea to be loved by Him. He loved those who were considered unloveable. He ate with people that others would not eat with. He touched and changed lives because He was love. I want to be that to all people. My prayer is that my family, friends, internet friends and strangers I meet will see a difference because I love the Lord and treat people with that love. When I stand before God one day, I want to hear those words, "Well done thy good and faithful servant". I want to show people I care no matter what and that if I can't help them in any other way than prayer, I will do just that. I may not be famous, a genius or rich, but what I can give is a listening ear, a praying heart and a heart that loves like Jesus loved, no matter who you are, where you come from, or what you believe.
God is good all the time and I will proclaim Him even when I do so only in actions. For actions speak as loud as words. I can talk about Him all day but if my actions and reactions do not show love and compassion then I do Him a disservice.
I guess I am through rambling now. I just want to add, God bless you and I care and I pray for each of my friends on line, blogger friends, message board friends etc. You do matter to me. I admire you for your thoughts, ideas, perspectives and I respect those thoughts, ideas and perspectives. I want to be your friend that listens and cares and you know you can depend on to pray.

4 comments:

Mommy Reg said...

Amen Thelma. :)
That is all I can say. It is like a beautiful prayer to the Father of everything in the depths of your soul. I stand in agreement with you. And pray the same for myself. As I have also been pondering and praying along those very lines.
As for jammie day - We stayed in our jammies until about 1. It is good to slow down sometimes.

Unknown said...

Thanks Hon. God is doing a new thing in me and I like it. But it is a slow, steady, gentle and sweet work He is doing. And it was good to slow down and last night the baby slept ALL NIGHT! For the first time in a LONG time! Sleep, what an amazing wonderful thing it is, and how energized I feel this morning having had a full night's sleep. WOW, I didn't know how good sleep was, I imagined it, I dreamed about it, wished for it, but now that I have had a full night's sleep.......I want MORE! LOL

Mommy Reg said...

Phillipians 1:3-6
"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

Okay, I think I am a little jealous of you. Getting a full night sleep hasn't happened for me in over 10 months. :( Baby G is still waking up every 2-3 hours. I did get 4 hours 2 nights ago. :) I felt great the next morning. I have completely forgotten what it feels like to sleep for a full 6-8 hours. I bet it feels great.

Unknown said...

I hear you girl. Jennifer has only slept throught the night a handfull of times since she was about 10 months old or so! She was doing great until about then about sleeping and then all of s sudden....she stopped. I feel your pain. My oldest did not sleep throught the night til he was 2 and a half! Any time I get over 3 or 4 hours......I am elated.....LOL. We can pray for each other in this area and that our children SLEEP......all of them....through the night.