Sunday, October 21, 2007

7 years of Blessing

7 years ago today, our lives changed forever. Our lives changed because one little bundle of blessing came into our lives at 6lbs 11 oz and 19 inches long. The 28 hours of labor, c section, preeclampsia, failed epidural and genereal anesthesia I endured was all worth it. I looked into that little face and he looked into mine. There was a connection beyond description. He looked at me as if to say, so you are the one I have been listening to all this time. He was an on the go baby from the moment he came into this world. He held his head up and looked around the nursery, checking things out. He hasn't stopped being inquisive yet. The nurses even commented on how strong and observant he was.

The first year of his life, was hard. Unknown to us, he was deathly allergic to all dairy. Nursing was a nightmare because I didn't know he had an allergy. He would scream in horrible pain every time he ate for hours afterwards, then it would be time for him to eat and it would start all over again. The doctor said nothing was wrong with him and that I was a nervous new mother. At 7 weeks he spent the night in intensive care because of a reflux and choking incident. That scared me senseless! The year rocked on filled with a baby who was so miserable he rarely was content. Oh how he tried to be content. He was such a happy, content baby those moments he had no pain. Finally, at 12 months we received the diagnosis and took him off all dairy. The difference was like night and day. To this day, I believe that horrible first year is what gave my son aversion to foods and textures of foods which caused an oral sensory issues. On his birthday he had his first asthma attack and we spent the night in ER. His life has been filled with ups and downs. We have almost lost our son to death on several occasions. He is tiny and petite and his challenges with asthma, allergies and sensory issues continue. But our son's spirit is phenomenal. He is a child who keeps on trying no matter how hard things are for him. He has a faith beyond his years. He has compassion and respect for others. When he is naughty, he is repentant. Oh, he can be sassy and cantankerous like any other child but he has a desire to do the right thing. He already professes faith in the Lord Jesus and accepted the Lord as his Savior when he was 5. He said he wanted Jesus to live in His heart cause he needed Jesus to help him not sin. His issues are challenging at times and I lose it at times. But my little boy is a blessing. He thinks everyone loves Jesus. He thinks everyone deserves love. Once when he was little and he saw coverage about Iraq he said:
"Mommy, I know what their problem is"
I said what
He said they need a mommy and daddy that love them and they need to be told they are naughty and to play nice.
It was so sweet. Because when it boils down to it, isn't he correct? Perfect love cast out fear. Jesus said the greatest of all things is love. If people loved with the pure love of a child, our world, would be a better place. So today on October 21, I celebrate 7 years of blessing. My son, my heart my child is a treasure. He has a great future ahead of him. He is bright, articulate and filled with faith and compassion. While I am proud of his smarts, I am most proud of his faith and compassion. When he sees someone get hurt at school or teased he tries to comfort them. He cries if his sisters get hurt. He can't bear to watch them get shots and usually ends up in tears when they cry out. I praise God for my 1st little blessing. When God gave me my son, He made me into a mother. Oh I am still learning how to be a mother, but my son is a great teacher.

So to my first born, I say, you are a blessing. You have great potentiality in Jesus. NEVER ever give up your faith. Never ever give up your perseverence. You made our lives richer because you came into it. God knew just the little boy we needed and he gave us you. Never doubt we will always love you, NO matter what. I love you my son, Happy Birthday.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

That is beautiful! Happy Birthday to your son and many blessings to your family! Our children are the most precious gifts and I firmly believe that when we recognize that they are gifts from God, and we raise them up in the ways of the Lord, we are blessed in ways that we simply could have never imagined! My daughter is fourteen and my son nine and I treasure every day with them! Thank you for sharing!

Mindy said...

This was a beautifully written and touching post! I truly enjoyed reading it! And Happy Birthday to your son!