Thursday, January 14, 2010

Proof the Prov 31 Mommy Goal is still in the future

Tonight I all but lost my temper and patience with my Hannah. She is a good reader for a kindergartner. I was doing her homework with her. She was working on the sounds of "ir" and "er". She knows all her letters phonetically. The words she was given she has read before. Tonight she decided it would be cute to play dumb and act like she had no idea what sounds "er" and "ir" made, much less the letter H or the letter F.

I had to send her to her room. She really and truly made me so angry because she is very smart. She pretended to not know and act like she was not going to figure it out. I have no idea why, unless she just didn't want to do it. I never EVER want my kids to dumb them selves down because of peer pressure or whatever

I am not totally sure why it made me so mad. I do have a clue but it is from my upbringing. I do not EVER want to put the way I was raised onto my children. I did explain to her, after I regained my composure it isn't good to act like we don't know something when we do. I explained she can not do that nor may she disrespect her Mommy.

I hugged her and cuddled her and reassured her that Mommy loves her no matter what she does. I love my children. I really do. I want what is best for them. However, I do not want them to settle for just getting by in anything. I want them to live up to their potential.

So.........this Mommy has a long way to go, to get to Prov 31 Mommy status. That woman was amazing. I am a work in progress. I know she is only 6. I have to allow for that as well. But why oh why would she dumb herself down (for lack of a better term). We encourage our children even when they make mistakes. We don't expect perfection or even all A's. But we do expect them to do their best.

Ahhh yes, one test Mommy failed........frustration 1 , Mommy 0. But tomorrow it can be frustration 0 and Mommy 1. Sometimes I do well with frustration, other times, not so much.

So here, I admit......I make mistakes. I am a Mommy that is growing and learning. I guarantee that there is not one mother on the planet that never makes mistakes, that never loses her patience, that never has to step back and give themselves a time out. I sent my daughter to her room, not for punishment but to gather myself. Did I yell at her....yes.....was that right......no but I did tell her I was sorry, we talked about it and moved on. But in being genuine in my blog; I must admit my failures as well as my triumphs. I am a work in progress and God isn't finished with me yet.

0 comments: