Wednesday, October 26, 2011

11 years ago

I woke up today and realized I haven't done Christopher's 11th birthday letter.  I try to write a letter or something each year on their birthdays.  I have missed one here or there depending on what was going on at the time.  But I do try.

When Christopher was born, I knew how to change a baby, feed a baby and the basics.  I had heard about sleep deprivation and colic but never experienced it.  When he was in the hospital with me just after his birth. Everything was easy and smooth sailing.  Well, until we brought him home.  Then the crying began.  We did not know at the time his crying was due to undiagnosed milk allergy. So at 3 a.m., my husband after a frantic call to the pediatrician, due to an newborn who had cried hours and hours and hours, went on a search for gas drops. First, he had to find something open and second...a store that actually carried the magic elixir..GAS DROPS.  It helped some, but truthfully not a lot.  It took a full year for him to be diagnosed and when we took him off all dairy......our baby..stopped crying like turning off a switch.  He had cried after every, feeding and every meal for a solid year.

 Doctors, would not listen, and we prayed and we cried and we searched for answers. Christopher was a happy, laid back little guy, when he wasn't in pain.  We named his tummy troubles "the tummy tigers".  This still has effects in him today. He learned that first year that food caused pain and because of it, eating, has never really been a big thing for him.  He is better now, but even after 11 years his eating is an issue as his sensory issues; I believe, in part, were caused by all that pain he experienced.


However, this leads me to Christopher's letter:

Dear Christopher:

When God blessed us with you, He gave us a warrior.  A warrior full of joy and laughter.  A warrior that has perseverance and faith so deep it astounds me.  All those times you saw Jesus and Mercy (your "imaginary friend") by your bed when you were so sick, instilled something in you.  Your faith is the foundation you need for life.  No matter what you face, that faith, your Lord Jesus will be WHO gets you through anything. There is nothing you can't face.  There is nothing, through the strength of Jesus you can't do . Nothing is impossible with God. You have proven that in your life and walk with Jesus over and over again.  I am proud of you positive outlook on life.  I am proud that you have compassion and love for others.

Your character is strong and mighty and it shines for the world to see.  Keep Jesus as your center and you will find that people are drawn to you.  You have grown so much this year, both physically and spiritually. Watching God grow you in faith is better than anything you could ever do, say or be.  Watching you become a young man that loves the Lord Jesus is better than winning a million bucks.  Thank you for being you.

 You pray first and ask questions later.  That my son, teaches your Mommy every day.  Sometimes, you struggle with organization, sorry , you get that from Mommy, but you are trying.  You are working hard and have the desire to learn and grow.  I thank God, He made you, just like you are.  As we learn and grow together, we will meet life head on with Jesus as our source.  As your parents, Daddy and I, are learning and growing too. Families, do that......they learn and grow together in love and faith.  I pray God will increase your faith and that you will grow in wisdom and stature.  We trust God with you and your life and His plans for you future

The scripture I proclaim for you this year is


Jeremiah 29:11
New International Version (NIV)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


We love you and know God is going to do great and mighty things in you.
Love Mommy..aka Mom as I don't know how much longer the Mommy label will stick..LOL

2 comments:

Burkulater said...

Poor kid! My daughter was the same way. How we ever got through that I'll never know.

He still has stomach issues? I wonder about gluten?

Unknown said...

He was tested for gluten..it was negative. His issues are sensory related and texture and new food related. I think it might be fear based deep within his psyche..but he is slowly getting better. Thanks so much. Only those who have been there truly know how hard it is!